Tuesday 10th Nov 2020
It can be difficult to fully concentrate on a piece of work sometimes, so it’s no wonder that half of us listen to music when we’re trying to knuckle down on the job.
Whether you’re working in the office, on a building site, in store or (like most of us at the moment) from home with flat mates and family, what we listen to can cause some disagreements.
We analysed over 6,000 playlists on Spotify that included words like “office”, “WFH”, “building site” and “retail” to find out which songs Brits like listening to the most when they’re at work, and how that differs by industry.
Here’s what we found:
Most popular songs for office workers
The data shows that our favourite songs in the office are an eclectic mix, with I’m Yours by Jason Mraz taking the top spot. The song, which was released way back in 2008 has a relaxing vibe which might help people to focus on their work more.
Other hits include Africa by Toto, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran and Take on Me by a-ha, giving this top 10 the feel of a wedding DJ set as opposed to an office playlist.
1. I’m Yours, Jason Mraz
2. Memories, Maroon 5
3. Africa, Toto
4. Closer, Chainsmokers
5. Thinking Out Loud, Ed Sheeran
6. Yellow, Coldplay
7. Drops of Jupiter, Train
8. Dancing with a Stranger, Sam Smith
9. Hotel California, Eagles
10. Take on Me, a-ha
Most popular songs for working from home
The list of most popular songs for people working from home, which is a lot of people at the moment, is a lot more contemporary than the top office hits. While it’s no surprise that both versions of Fifth Harmony’s Work From Home feature in the top 10, the majority of other songs on this list are some of the most popular hits of 2020.
1. Work From Home - Fifth Harmony feat. Ty Dolla Sign
2. Circles - Post Malone
3. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
4. Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
5. The Bones - Maren Morris
6. Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
7. Adore You - Harry Styles
8. Memories - Maroon 5
9. Stuck With U - Arianna Grande
10. Work From Home - Fifth Harmony (original version)
Most popular songs in the construction industry
The analysis found an eclectic mix of songs are helping to keep spirits up on building and construction sites around the country, as Eminem’s 2004 classic, Mockingbird, took first place.
1. Mockingbird - Eminem
2. Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
3. Ladbroke Grove - AJ Tracey
4. Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
5. Feel Good Inc - Gorillaz
Most popular songs for sales professionals
Our research revealed plenty of motivational songs among the most popular tracks for sales professionals, with Eye of the Tiger taking the top spot.
1. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
2. Thunderstruck - AC/DC
3. The Less I Know the Better - Tame Impala
4. Back in Black - AC/DC
5. Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson
Most popular songs in marketing
UK marketers like listening to Blinding Lights by The Weeknd the most while at work, and don’t mind a bit of Harry Styles and Dua Lipa too.
1. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
2. Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
3. Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
4. Can’t Hold Us - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
5. Feel it Still - Portugal. The Man
Most popular songs in retail
You might be familiar with some of the playlists in your local shop, so have you heard any of these? Shape of You by Ed Sheeran is the most listened to track in the retail industry, while Dua Lipa, The Chainsmokers, Mark Ronson and Billie Eilish make up the rest of the top five.
1. Shape of You - Ed Sheeran
2. Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
3. Closer - The Chainsmokers
4. Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson
5. Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
Most popular songs in finance
Who would have thought the finance industry love to listen to songs about money?
1. Money - Pink Floyd
2. Jordan Belford - Wes Walker
3. Mo Money Mo Problems - Notorious B.I.G
4. Money in the Grave - Drake
5. Money Trees - Kendrick Lamar
If you like the sound of some of the tracks our analysis revealed, check out our ultimate work playlist on Spotify!
All results are based on Spotify data correct as of 23rd October 2020. Most popular artists and songs were calculated by scraping the song data of playlists containing the words office, work from home or similar terms, as well as a number of terms from the different sectors included within the research.
Head to our Invoice Finance page to find out how we can help your business